AIBD moving forward in New Norm -Director
Trasncript version of AIBD Director’s opening speech at 19th General Conference 2021:
Greetings and welcome to the 46th AIBD General Conference. I thank each and every one of you for taking time to join us virtually as we acquaint you with the relevant information regarding the organisations activities, new initiatives and its financial standing.
This past year tested us in so many ways, our resolve, our values, our stamina, our spirit. Perhaps most of all, it tested our accountability. Amidst global climate catastrophe, social unrest, economic turmoil, and an unwavering pandemic, AIBD in collaboration with various bodies, explored the various avenues in providing unfettered support to media practitioners who faced economic challenges, operational constraints, health threats and most importantly the livelihood of their workforce.
In the face of this unsettling reality, AIBD has taken stock of the challenges posed by the pandemic & embarked on key strategies and direction to align its activities under the new norm, not only for itself but for the broadcast industry.
Obviously, no one was prepared for this unprecedented phenomenon posed by this virus, which is mutating vigorously even as we speak. Please allow me to share the key Strategies which AIBD took in a very lockdown environment.
Five key strategies:
- Initiating the creation of Covid-19 media SOP’s ensuring safety at workplace and its media personnel.
- Initiating the Health Communication Manual in collaboration with WHO, UNU and member countries.
- Empowering media practitioners on Journalists Safety, Health & Investigative Reporting.
- Shifting the conduct of Training activities to Virtual platforms.
- Active Collaboration and networking with UN Bodies, AIBD Members and Partners targeting the following areas of concern triggered by the pandemic.
- Combatting Disinformation/Infodemic
- Disaster Preparedness/Risk Assessment
- Focusing on Children in the pandemic/Child online Protection
- Pandemic related Cybersecurity issues
- Strengthening relevance of traditional media
- Creating Content & Information Sharing Network among members
On the administrative front, AIBD has initiated the following initiatives:
- Cost-cutting measures, including cost & benefit evaluation of every operational expenditure
- Upskilling of personnel to adapt to new work practices, adopting technology
- Adopting best work practices in association with UN work ethics, culminating in the formulation of the AIBD ISO Remote Work Process
With these initiatives in place, AIBD has prevailed with its resilience and pursuing a transformative pathway to retain its relevance and significance within the region with the collective support of the regional governments.
The AIBD Secretariat has endeavored to deliver its very best despite the many challenges and constraints, while prioritizing the wellbeing of the workforce, providing operational resources and motivation to help ease the burden and stress of the numerous lockdowns. as they did their best to bring new and creative workshops for members.